As scientific studies are confirmed, lasers may be a good alternative to the traditional drill as anesthetic is not needed as often. The procedure is more precise and can reduce symptoms and healing times associated with traditional therapies. Lasers are often used for teeth whitening, ulcer excision, gum therapy, cavity preparation and removal of decay. In the future, laser technology may be used to prevent decay by increasing the strength of the tooth. However, laser therapy cannot be used as an alternative for every procedure.
Benefits Of Laser Dentistry
- Procedures performed using soft tissue dental lasers may not require stitches
- Certain laser dentistry procedures do not require anesthesia
- Laser dentistry minimizes bleeding
- Bacterial infections are minimized because the high-energy beam sterilizes the area being worked on
- Damage to surrounding tissue is minimized.
- Wounds heal faster and tissues can be regenerated
- Dental lasers can reshape gum tissue to expose healthy tooth structure and improve the appearance of a gummy smile